Friday, January 1, 2016

A new year......a new me???

A new year is always a blank slate.  A book filled with empty pages.   A canvas ready for paint.  An adventure ready for the planning.  And with this new year I am embarking upon a journey of self discovery.

For so many years my life has followed a set path.  I was the dutiful granddaughter who did as she was told and applied herself to school and acceptable values.  I was the inquisitive student who went to university and fell in love.  I was the supportive wife who put her husband's needs first.  And then I became the ever loving mother who devoted any self that was left to the upbringing of my child.

Through the years parts of myself eroded away ever so slowly.  So slowly that I was unaware that "I" disappeared as I aimed to please my family, my friends and my values.  And it has brought me to where I am today.  I am at a loss as people say "Do for yourself.  Do what you enjoy."  But what is that????

How does somebody make these decisions when they don't even know who they are anymore?  I'm not the innocent schoolgirl or the optimistic lady in love.  My life isn't fresh and new.  Life experience has changed me into someone I don't recognize.  Someone who I'm not sure I really like anymore.   My focus isn't my husband's needs or my daughter's care.   My attention is now for no one but myself and I have no idea which way to turn.  Which path to follow.  Or what I even may want to do.

This blog is my way of finding direction.   I'm hoping over the year ahead to rediscover who I am NOW.  I have 365 days to start learning my likes.  My interests.  My desires.  My future!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment